April is National Poetry Month in America – created to celebrate poetry’s vital place in our culture. With that in mind, here are five kick-ass poets from the The #HerStory Podcast.
1. Katherine Lee Bates. Everyone has heard the song America the Beautiful. But did you know it was originally a poem written by a lesbian?
2. Emily Dickinson. Depressed and reclusive, Emily Dickinson used the power of poetry to express herself and create a world still cherished by today’s readers.
3. Anne Morrow Lindbergh. You probably have heard of her husband, Charles Lindbergh, and the kidnapping story of their child. But did you know Anne Morrow Lindbergh was a poet (and pilot).
4. The Anonymous Woman. Poetry and literature throughout time is riddled with the Anonymous woman who never received proper credit for her work.
5. Edna St. Vincent Milley. She was the third woman to win the Pulitzer Prize for poetry, and was as famous for her poetry as she was for her activism and lovers.